Re: ICH6M SATA and poor optical drive performance

On Saturday 10 December 2005 01:48, Christopher J. Bottaro wrote:
> One last thing, I've had bad luck compiling vanilla kernels from kernel.org
> in the past.  They compiled and booted fine, but my system was extremely
> sluggish while running them.  Since then, I've only been compiling what
> Redhat makes available to in via the kernel-{version}.src.rpm
> packages...and a 2.6.14 kernel src rpm package isn't available for FC3 yet.
I must say I've had the complete opposite experience on my laptop. It's brand
new, Intel 915GM Centrino based, and I've never successfully booted any of
the newer FC4 kernels on it. I guess I could make them work by fiddling with
kernel params, but I _do_not_ want to disable ACPI, and other newer features.
I don't have to with vanilla. I had a h**l of a time bootstrapping/installing
Fedora on it, the first time, with the kernel that comes with the FC4 install
CD.

> Any tips on getting a vanilla kernel running up to speed?
You could base the 2.6.14.3 config on the config of the newest FC4 kernel,
using make oldconfig .. I'd go through manually, though, and sanity check the
everything afterwords. And if you're going to roll your own kernel, I would
remove all the cruft, while I was at it. There's a lot. I usually go through
the entire kernel configuration manually, and set things the way I like it.

Remember to create an initrd when you install new vanilla kernels, and make
sure it's used in grub.conf. It's required for udev to create some basic
devices nodes, if I remember correctly. The details should be available here:
http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/udev/

Øyvind
--
< Øyvind Stegard < oyvinst at ifi uio no >
 < http://www.oyvind.nu/