Re: Security hole

On Fri, 2005-12-09 at 08:58, Paul Smith wrote:
> Dear All
>
> I have noticed that from SLAX liveCD, one has total and free access to
> the home partition of all Linux (Fedora) accounts in the hard-disk of
> the computer. In this way, with a SLAX disk, everyone can spy all
> accounts in the hard-disk. How can this be prevented?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Paul

As others have pointed out, if you do not have physical security of your
system there is no way to prevent someone from accessing the system.
The only thing that can be done is to encrypt your data files and keep
the keys or passwords protected.  But even that does not guarantee that
someone won't be able to break the encryption given enough time and
resources.

This is true of any system out there.  This is why many companies
institute a two man rule for some equipment rooms.  If someone needs
access to the cage with sensitive servers/data two people must enter and
leave the room at the same time.  The idea is that no one is left alone
with the equipment.  They also will have cameras recording anything that
happens.