Re: HP 870 Cse + HPIJS 2.14 Printer Driver does not support two-sided print

Mike McCarty wrote:
I have installed and used an HP Deskjet 870 Cse printer for
some time, but find that the I/F for using it is rather limited
by comparison with that available for Windows. I searched the
web, and found the "HP printer home page" on SourceForge. I downloaded
the most recent version of HPIJS (recommended for this printer)
and installed it successfully just now. The latest version
is dated August 2005. I am still missing several features which
this printer/driver combination supposedly supports. I am
particularly interested in two-sided printing and two-up
printing.

I would like to access these features from, for example,
Mozilla using the File->Print. This brings up a dialogue
box which has features like margins, and grey-scale
rendering, but nothing about two-sided printing etc.

Further googling with '+"two sided printing" +linux'
produced many hits, but not much help. This printer
does not support duplexing, but I have used it with
a driver for Windows which prints the even pages, then
the odd pages, with a pop-up dialogue window prompting
for page reversal.

Searching the HP website produced lots of information about
the printer, but not much help in configuring it with
Linux.

Information which may help:

$ which hpijs
/usr/local/bin/hpijs
$ hpijs -h

Hewlett-Packard Co. Inkjet Server 2.1.4
Copyright (c) 2001-2004, Hewlett-Packard Co.
$ uname -a
Linux Presario-1 2.6.10-1.771_FC2 #1 Mon Mar 28 00:50:14 EST 2005 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

The test page states at the bottom:

Printed Using CUPS v1.1.x
Copyright 1993-2003 by Easy Softwre Products, All Rights Reserved

Would someone please give me pointers for further research?

Thank you for your time in reading this message.

Mike

Mike,
   Look in 'http://localhost:631/printers' > config printers.
You should find double sided printing check box. Also give the newer print package "Hplip" a go.

   david