Re: Get process that bind a port

Maybe it's more easy to use "netstat -tunap".
The -p flag will tell you wich program is running at that port.

Cheers.

--------------------------
Gaston Martres
Tech IT - Soluciones IT
Cel: 15-5614-3012
http://www.tech-it.com.ar
--------------------------

STYMA, ROBERT E (ROBERT) wrote:

Hello,
I am playing around with writing a program to bind to socket / port in my machine. Often time, I got the message:
bind(): Address already in use

So my question is, how do I find out which process bind to a certain port number ? For example, how do I find out what process use port 2345? Sometimes 'ps ax' does not really show the process that I though bind that port number, although bind() gave the error message. Plus 'ps ax' does not really help unless you know the process name anyway.

Thanks for any help.
RDB

The command lsof run as root will tell you a lot of things including
who is bound to a port.
For example:
lsof | grep 2345

Note that on various flavors unix, I have seen the "already in use" message
for a short time after a program exits.  That is, start a program which listens
on a certain port, exit the program, immediately restart the program.  A quick test
says FC4 does not seem to do this.

--
Bob Styma