Re: SCSI low-level utils

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005, T. Horsnell wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a utility which will let me do SCSI-disk things
> like surface scan, low-level format, bad-block re-vector and such?
> Rather like the scu utility on my Alpha box.
> smartctl cant do this stuff, and I've so far located Joerg Schilling's
> sformat-3.4 (which was last modified in 1998 and which currently wont
> compile on my Opteron box) and the Seagate 'seatools' utility (which
> doesnt offer low-level bad-block testing/revectoring).

sg3_utils will do this.  The version available on freshrpms does not
appear to support revectoring, but the newer rpms available directly from
the site http://sg.torque.net/sg/ do.

What was nice was an actual port of scu from Tru64 to Linux by someone
from DEQ which worked up until the new 2.6 kernels changed things too
dramatically.