Re: vulnerability of Linux

Steffen Kluge wrote:
On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 14:13 +0800, John Summerfied wrote:

If there's a kernel update fixing a security problem only exploitable with local access, and I control the only account with local access, then I don't need it.

Are you sure? If there's a bug in httpd that allows an attacker to run
code as user apache, then the kernel bug may become quite useful to get
root.

I had some difficulty accessing material outside of /var/www as user Apache, on WBEL. Try it.

Why run with a known vulnerability, just because one isn't smart enough
to think of an attack vector? Defense in depth...

Because the risk of breaking things, especially with Fedora, is greater.

I have seen two successful attacks against Linux systems in the time since I deployed my first Linux server, running RHL 4.0.

Both were on account of weak passwords.

OTOH I cannot count the number of broken systems I've seen when upgrades failed, when upgrades succeeded but their content was broken, when hardware failed.

There was one near miss, where I applied an SSL upgrade a week before somone tested me for its lack.

So there you are, no penetrations at all on account of software vulnerabilities in umpteen years.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait