Re: vulnerability of Linux

Les Mikesell wrote:
On Mon, 2005-11-28 at 18:31, Mike McCarty wrote:

Why is it safer to update 10 packages once a month than 0.33 packages
every day?

Because packages sometimes get retracted. I like to let them
soak for a while before installation. And I don't install 10
a month. Usually, only two or three get updated. Also, when
I update, I *look* at what is being updated, and I don't always
accept everything there.

Can you give some examples of where you have known better
by "looking" at the updates than the developers who wrote
them about whether you are safer without them?

Oh, BTW, it has little to do with knowing better than anyone.
It has to do with churn. I always make a backup before doing
an update. If things don't work out, then I can revert.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.