Re: vulnerability of Linux

Rudolf Kastl wrote:

The likelihood of someone writing a single virus attacking more than one
(counting Mozilla ant tbird as one) _and_ getting it to spread is fairly
small.

Years ago (I was using the then recent RHL 7.3) , Kaspersky released a
virus scanner client for Linux. I pressed them for a catalogue of known
Linux viruses. They came up with a list of five, some of which I'd
heard. At least one was a worm (doesn't spread in email), one was maybe
a problem in RHL 6.2.

- Have updated systems! update your system daily. Yum must program your
yum or apt updates to run at least daily.

That is plain stupidity. It is worse than securing your system sensibly
and applying _no_ updates.

no its not. if thats your policy fine. it shouldnt be an end users
policy though.

Justify yourr assertion: I gave reasons for mine.

If you blindly apply updates as they appear, you will get a broken
system, nothing surer.

end users have no clue and thus cant select what they need. actually
with only backported fixes nothing should break with tested updates.

If users want that kind of support they better pay for it. Fedora Core 3 did in fact break just as I said, with USB not working, at least on certain laptops.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait