Re: Touch Pad Sensitivity

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005, Lovell Mcilwain wrote:

Matthew Saltzman wrote:

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005, Lovell Mcilwain wrote:

Hello All,

Is there a way that I can decrease the tap sensitivity or turn off the
tap option on my touch pad?

I am having this annoying problem that when I am typing my palm or some
part of my hand brushes up against the touch pad and starts me typing in
another part of the text that I have already typed.  I thought I could
live with it but I really can't  :) .  I tried changing my typing so my
wrists are up higher but no luck.  So now I would like to try turning
off the tap option (if there is a way to do that) and see if I am better
off without it.

I am using Fedora Core 4 on a Compaq Presario R3000

Is this a Synaptics touchpad? If so, you probably have the synaptics RPM installed. It includes a program called syndaemon, which disables the touchpad while you are typing.

I haven't felt the need, but it might do the job for you.

Here is what happened when I tried to run syndaemon:

[user@Blade ~]$ sudo syndaemon -t -d
Can't access shared memory area. SHMConfig disabled?

I tried to find SHMConfig but didn't see a man page for it or couldn't locate it anywhere. Can you tell me what I might be missing? I also didn't see the syndaemon in the services list via the gui if that helps.

Look in /etc/X11/xorg.conf for

	Section "InputDevice"
        	Identifier  "Synaptics"
	        Driver      "synaptics"
	EndSection

and add the line

	Option      "SHMConfig" "on"

in a line between the Section and EndSection lines.  Then restart X.

See /usr/share/doc/synaptics-0.14.0/README for more things you can configure.

syndaemon doesn't come with a startup script. You can invoke it in /etc/rc.local.

Thanks,

Lovell

--
		Matthew Saltzman