Re: Xen zen? Anyone?

On Fri, 2005-11-25 at 13:25 -0500, Matt Morgan wrote:
> On 11/25/05, David Cary Hart <Fedora@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > This is an exercise in intellectual curiosity. Do I understand the
> > concept correctly?
> >
> > I see two possible applications:
> >
> >         1) Running instances of FC4 and FC5 beta as virtual machines.
> >         Does this make sense?
> >
> >         2) Splitting a server into functional virtual machines. For
> >         example, an instance running postfix, an instance running httpd
> >         and an instance for rbldnsd.
> >
> >         a) Does this improve performance?
> >         b) Is it safe on a production server?
>
> All your examples are possible.
>
> I don't think Xen improves performance in any way. It causes less of a
> hit than User-Mode Linux, however.

http://os.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=05/11/15/1641244&from=rss

        Crenshaw said the drive toward virtualization has been further
        invigorated by data that shows the average server uses between
        15% and 25% of its CPU capacity. Virtualization, on the other
        hand, could improve that to 80% or more, "so you can get more
        productivity from less hardware," he said, adding that "it comes
        down to more productivity at less cost. [You can] take advantage
        of faster, better, cheaper hardware more quickly and without
        extensive qualification cycles because the software is qualified
        to the virtual machine rather than the hardware."

--
Our DNSRBL -
       Eliminate Spam: http://www.TQMcube.com/spam_trap.htm