Re: command to invoke bittorrent?

--On Wednesday, November 23, 2005 7:47 PM +0100 Zubin Bharucha <z.bharucha@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I think BT uses ports 6881 through 6889 by default. On your router, open
up any port in that range and specify it to be UDP.

I asked about this recently on the bt developers list at ibiblio. Only the oldest clients use a range of ports. The newer ones can listen on a single port for connections.

I agree with John Wendel, use a random high port to avoid simple-minded ISP blocking. The tracker will be notified of which port you've chosen, so that other clients can find you.

ISP's may not totally block. Instead, they may "shape" (throttle) your BT traffic, to give priority to web users, who are their bread-and-butter customers and the ones most likely to cut into the bottom line if their "experience" suffers.