Re: httpd segfaults

On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 10:18:25AM -0600, Mike McGrath wrote:
> I should probably take this to the apache lists but I figured I'd start
> here first.
>
> I'm running a reverse proxy server on FC3.  It has multiple websites,
> pointing to multiple application servers.  Every now and then I start
> getting segfaults:
>
> [Tue Nov 22 09:42:15 2005] [notice] child pid 19701 exit signal
>
> I can't quite tell what is causing the segfaults, though I believe it is
> caused after a report or some other page on an application server takes
> too long and times out.  After these segfaults start happening some but
> not all of my sites become unavailable.  It seems that all sites that
> require authentication fail, those that do not require authentication
> work.  I'm using mod_auth_ldap to authenticate against an AD server.  I
> have been unable to re-create the error myself.
>
> I'm running FC3, httpd-2.0.53-3.3

There are a bunch of known crashes in mod_ldap/mod_auth_ldap which are
fixed in the latest FC4 httpd updates but aren't in FC3.  I'd need to
see a backtrace from a crash to be sure that was the cause; add
"CoreDumpDirectory /tmp" to httpd.conf, restart httpd, and get a
backtrace using gdb.

I'd advise updating to FC4 if you can.

joe