Re: detecting NIC's

THUFIR HAWAT wrote:
> I have an older computer which is an IBM personal computer 300 GL
> desktop. This computer, named geidiprime, is a pentium II and has two
> NIC's: 3com and D-Link. However:

<snip>
> The D-Link NIC came with a cd labeled DFE538TX, which holds the
> driver, which I installed.

Hope you mean "on Windows". Don't touch it for Linux.
http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=487&question=General%20Linux
says the card is supported, and strongly implies it's a Realtek 8139
variant.  This chip is very cheap, and has been pretty reliable in my
experience.  Most 100 Mbit/s cards (apart from Intel or 3Com cards) seem
to be based around it.  The driver, these days, is 8139too. This is well
supported on Linux: expect to plug and play. You may have to run
system-config-network to set IP addresses.

> The 3com I know nothing about, but it came
> with the computer.
3com support, I understand, is generally pretty good.

>  I've recently used the D-Link NIC in a different
> computer and am quite confident that both NIC's are physically ok, but
> am only reasonably certain they're installed correctly.
>
> Instead of Windows 2000 (win2k) I'll install, at least temporarily,
> Linux. I'm crossing my fingers that Linux will see at least one of
> these NIC's, which, for whatever, win2k isn't.  Is this a vain hope?
> I just want to find out what's going on. Assuming, if you don't mind,
> that Linux doesn't show detecting these NIC's during the boot, what
> are some things to do?

Do they show up in Device Manager under Windows 2000? If they do, then
it's probably just a Windows driver error. If not, then there may be
problems with the PCI system or the motherboard.

If you just want to check that the NICs work, I'd recommend a live CD
variant (one that boots into Linux straight from the CD). I haven't
heard of a Fedora based live CD recently: I'd look at the Ubuntu live CD
or Knoppix / Gnoppix.

(I hope no-one minds if I temporarily go off-topic: there should be
drivers for the Dlink card built into Windows 2000. You might care,
through Device Manager, trying right-clicking on the card, going to
Driver tab -> Update Driver, and choosing one of the other driver
options.)

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | If infinite rednecks fired infinite shotguns at an
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | infinite number of road signs, they'd eventually