Trying to create init script

Hi Everyone,

Currently, I start a proprietary map application from /etc/rc.local,
which works fine.  I would now like to use chkconfig to manage the app,
so an init script is in order.  However, the app doesn't create it's own
PID, so using "daemon" in the init script does not work - it won't fork!

I've googled around to try to figure out how to get around this, but I
haven't found many tips.  I did locate some helpful hints, such as this:

http://www.tildeslash.com/monit/doc/faq.php (question #3)

But, it's still not working quite right: the app doesn't go into the
background.

I haven't done this before, so I am fumbling around a bit.  I'd
appreciate any tips, or pointers to online help.

BTW, I'm attempting this on a Fedora Core 4 system, though I'm sure in
this case the Fedora version doesn't really matter.

Thanks in advance,

Ranbir
--
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu