Re: Clock issues

akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 06:49:01AM -0500, Bob Chiodini wrote:

On Wed, 2005-11-09 at 10:40 -0800, Brian D. McGrew wrote:

Running a Dell PE850 with FC4 installed.  I used rdate -s to set the
clock and the time is correct.  I even have it in the crontab tab.

When the machine reboots, the clock is wrong, way wrong by anywhere from
6 to 12 hours.  How do I get the clock to sync up at reboot time?

-brian

Brian D. McGrew { brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx || brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx }
--

Those of you who think you know it all,

really annoy those of us who do!

Brian,

Are you cleanly rebooting the system?

/etc/init.d/halt contains code to set the hardware clock to the system
(software) clock.  Unless the motherboard battery is failing, or the
system was not properly shutdown/rebooted the H/W clock should not drift
that much.

Running rdate from cron only sets the system clock, not the H/W clock.
You should also run hwclock --systohc in the same cron job.

As suggested by Yonas and Alexander, NTP is another solution, but it
will not correct the H/W clock by itself.  You still must insure that
hwclock runs, either periodically, or at shutdown.

What is the BIOS time immediately after shutting down?

Bob...

This is a periodic problem that someone down here was complaining about
just today. When you boo t hwclock is run to set the system clock to
the hardware clock. That code is in /etc/rc.d/rcsysinit

When you halt hwclock is run to reverse the process. That code is in
/etc/init.d/halt.

Check to see that the running of the hwclock -systohc and
hwclock -hctosys both run correctly. Further check whether the hwclock is
drifting due to a weak battery.

I also had this problem on two different Dell desktops.

For one (Dimension 4700), the solution was discussed here:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2005-April/msg04936.html

If

[root@localhost ~]# hwclock --systohc
select() to /dev/rtc to wait for clock tick timed out

does not work but

[root@localhost ~]# hwclock --systohc --directisa

works,

then add a

CLOCKFLAGS=--directisa

line to the /etc/sysconfig/clock file.  Look at /etc/rc.d/init.d/halt at
around line 115 to see how that works.

For a Dimension 8400? the solution was to add

dev.rtc.max-user-freq = 1024

to /etc/sysctl.conf

Sean