Re: Custom rules for spamassasin?

Am So, den 13.11.2005 schrieb Craig McLean um 19:08:

> > Perhaps in this case a better solution is that his MTA should be
> > configured to reject any mail coming in with a HELO name that is not
> > true (ie, your mailserver external hostname or IP).

Fully agreed. Better rejecting the forgery at SMTP time than to first
accept it and then classify it as spam.

> [mini-snip]
> You might well be right. On high-load systems a caveat, however, is that
> if you do this with RDNS queries and it'll lead to a potential DoS.
>
> I haven't tested whether my mailserver will allow me to HELO with the
> mailservers hostname but a phony IP. I suspect this will be covered
> (assuming sendmail) by confPRIVACY_FLAGS or local-host-names.

No, both don't.

> C.

Hints for some reading:

1) http://www.cs.niu.edu/~rickert/cf/bad-ehlo.html
    [ http://www.cs.niu.edu/~rickert/cf/hack/block_bad_helo.m4 ]

2) I always recommend to enhance Sendmail by using the MimeDefang
milter. It both calls SpamAssassin and anti-virus scanners, and it can
easily be customized doing specific things during the (E)SMTP stream.
Talking about HELO/EHLO checks it can be easy like

http://www.mimedefang.org/node.php?id=18

Other code examples to be found in the wiki

http://www.mimedefang.org/kwiki/index.cgi?FilterExamples

Alexander

Serendipity 19:31:24 up 15 days, 17:31, load average: 0.30, 0.25, 0.19