Re: NFS Server

Rick Stevens wrote:

On Fri, 2005-11-11 at 14:36 -0500, Mike Poublon wrote:
I'm working on setting up an NFS file server using Fedora Core 4. The NFS shares will be accessed by compute nodes inside of a cluster computer. I've successfully done this in the past, but due to some recent hardware changes have run into a slight issue. The server (also head node of the cluster) has Gigabit network cards. 9 of the compute nodes (NFS Clients) do not, they have 10/100 nics. There are also 5 compute nodes that do have gigabit cards. The problem is this:

When the nodes with gigabit cards mount an NFS share everything works fine. When the 10/100 nodes try to mount, they are successful, but can't read large files (~600mb). They display the error message

server <hostname> not responding, still trying

and sit there not realling doing much (as far as i can tell).

The MTU is set at the default of 1500 on all of the NICS (gigabit and 10/100).

If anyone has seen this problem and knows a way around it I'd appreciate some hints.

It's not uncommon for autonegotiation to not really work between your
machines and the switch/router.  It would help if we knew what switch
you're using and the makes of the 10/100 cards.

I'm using Intel Pro 100 cards (drivermodule e100) and the switch is a Netgear GS524.

In lieu of that info, see if you can turn off autonegotiation on both
the switch ports connected to the 10/100 machines and the machines
themselves and force 100Mb, full duplex on both ends.  See if that
helps.

I'd prefer not to switch everything back to 100Mb if I don't have to. The reason this came up is because of a recent upgrade to the gigabit switch (it was a 10/100 switch before). The thought was that having a gigabit
path to the server would help out on performance.

- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
-               The Theory of Rapitivity: E=MC Hammer                -
-                                  -- Glenn Marcus (via TopFive.com) -