Re: Dell Inspiron 600M Video Problem

Jim Cornette wrote:
Tod Thomas wrote:

I'm trying to load FC on a used Inspiron I just got. I played with the FC3 release all day yesterday, because I already had the CD's burned, and couldn't get it to work. I tried FC4 last night and am still having the same problem.

After the welcome screen, when I skip the CD validation check, Anaconda starts running. It notices my mouse and video card but says the monitor is unknown. After that I get a blank screen.

I tried using 'linux lowres'. That worked long enough for me to get FC installed but once throught the reboot sequence I get the blank screen again. Very frustrating.

I tried dropping to a command prompt and editing the xorg.conf. I'm not sure what my refresh rates should be so I followed an example someone had posted on the web with a similar (but not exactly) setup - no go.

There seems to be a lot of people out there who have gotten FC to work remarkably well on the dell insprion 600m, no problems at all. I can't seem to replicate that experience.

Incidentally, I don't like either Gnome or KDE so I normally exclude them, install X and then add my own window manager later. Could excluding the stock window managers be causing my problem?

I'm stuck, any help would be appreciated. I could use some pointers to good doc references too. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places?

Thanks - Tod

Dell Inspiron 600M
1.4GHZ Pentium M
ATI M9 (ATI Mobility - Radeon 9000) video card.
Quanta Display 14.1" (1400 x 1050) SXGA+

If you have no window manager, it would probably come up blank. There used to be a crosshatched pattern that showed up before, when no windowmanager was present. Without either window manager, gdm or kdm would not be installed. I believe there is an xdm also. ( I use gnome, but install kde also, not sure about xdm)

Anyway, you could probably boot into runlevel 3 and install your preferred windowmanager. xfce is available from fedora-extras and the repositories are active for extras upon completed installation. If you prefer another wm, install that while in runlevel 3, then change to runlevel 5 or run startx from a terminal.

About the monitor, you could choose a generic choice for LCD and select 1400x1050 to see if this would help with the montor.

Jim

It was the xorg.conf settings for my Quanta Display. I looked everywhere and finally tracked down the settings from someone else running a dell inspiron 700m, I believe. It appears that Quanta is a Korean company and don't have an English version of their site.

The default window manager is twm. The X mouse icon (the crosshatches) was displaying but I just couldn't see it because the display was blank. Once I got the xorg.conf modified everything showed up just fine. I'm not sure I have the optimal settings so if anyone has them the specs above I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for your help, sorry for the delayed response. If anyone needs the xorg.conf settings that I used reply here and I'll post them, I don't have them handy, I'm on another box.

Tod