Re: is it ok to sudo for make install?

Claude Jones wrote:
This is a simple technical question, but I can't seem to find an answer. When compiling from source, is it OK to sudo for the make install, or do I need to su - I remember reading something about root's path environments not being fully in place when sudo'ing - do I have that completely wrong?

I did an sudo for something that needed a program that was in root's
normal path but wasn't in my normal path (I don't login as root
straight away). You can fix this by making sure that your path
include /sbin and /usr/sbin. I also stick things in /usr/local/sbin
out of habit so you may find that you need that too.

--
Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               (Text only)