Re: Wireless PCI recommendations?

Joel Jaeggli wrote:
On Tue, 8 Nov 2005, Neil Cherry wrote:

Can someone recommend a wireless PCI card that does not need the
ndiswrapper? So far I have one PCI that require NDIS, one compact
PCI (Intel) that can't be load on an AMD machine (BIOS comes back
with an error), a Broadcom compact PCI that works with NDIS and 2
PCMCIA that need to use NDIS.

atheros and it's madwifi driver.

Thanks

Understand that that means "any wireless PCI card that is built with an Atheros chipset." Always look at the technical specs of any peripheral card you buy. Netgear springs to mind--so long as they don't change chipsets.

Since installing a Netgear WAG-511 (with the Atheros chipset) into a Dell Inspiron 1200, and having excellent results with it and with the madwifi kernel module, I have become a firm believer in buying /only/ hardware whose makers are willing to conform to open standards or at least share enough information for someone to build a decent driver for it. I can understand, up to a point, having to deal with legacy equipment. But if you're buying new hardware, I advise: don't mess with hardware for which the Linux community can't build a native driver because of licensure considerations, hardware maker policies, or for whatever reason.

Ten years ago, someone started a movement for "open standards" for hardware. Does anyone know the status of that movement?

Temlakos