Re: xinetd delays in in.rshd responses (cluster problem, long)

On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 17:14, Tim Prendergast wrote:
> My issue is this -- we have an old RH9 cluster that is similar in design,
> and the rsh commands (measured using `time rsh node2 uname -a`)  takes
> around 0.050s to complete. On the FC4 system, we are running around
> 0.650-1.35s to complete the same command. I've traced the delay to xinetd or
> in.rshd, but am at a loss going any further. I've run some straces and I can
> see the delay occur. I've pasted the straces below for reference.
>
> Does anyone have any idea why this delay is happening?

The server side is probably issuing an IDENT query so it can
log the name of the owner of the initiating socket, which you
are probably firewalling or ignoring somewhere in between.
Does your xinetd entry for rsh mention USERID?  If you don't
need it, take it out.

--
    Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx