Linux worm crawls the web, what to do to protect our systems

Dear List,
   A strange worm is going around the web.  It attacks
some vulnerabilities in PHP.

>From
http://www.securityfocus.com/brief/38?ref=rss

cut+paste here
A new Linux worm is crawling the web looking for a
large number of vulnerable PHP systems and
applications. The worm, known as Linux.Plupii
(Symantec) or Linux/Lupper.worm (McAfee), is rated as
a Category 2 worm by Symantec, while McAfee considers
the risk "low." The worm installs a Trojan using wget
and the attack allows for arbitrary code execution
under the privileges of the web server user.

 The worm exploits PHP based vulnerabilities
discovered back in June, and affects a large number of
PHP web applications that use XML-RPC. The Trojan
makes simple requests to web servers running on port
80 and the attack has been well documented by SANS.
Unpatched systems are ripe for exploitation. Affected
systems will need to be wiped and have the OS
reinstalled, in most cases.

 The report comes on the heels of a new PHP release
that addresses more security issues. Readers are also
reminded of the Perl-based Santy worm and its variants
as an indication that web-based worms that target
Linux and Unix applications are becoming much more
commonplace.

what can we do to escape the threat of this worm.
Does it need root priviledge?  I am asking this
because it is an eminent danger and how to secure our
pcs.

Thanks,

Antonio

http://farechase.yahoo.com