Re: deleteing e-Mail, quota and dovecot

On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 12:17, Tim wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 12:17 -0500, Tony Nelson wrote:
> > Mbox is good for using less disk space and often faster searching.
> > However, an mbox is just a large file, and deleting anything from the
> > middle (though not the end) /requires/ making a copy of the file
> > without the deleted messages.  You might need a hard limit twice the
> > soft limit.
> >
> > Maildir keeps the messages in separate files, so it will take about
> > 1.5x the space of mbox and put more pressure on the filesystem
> > (inodes!), but messages are more easily deleted.
>
> And depending on your mail client, it keeps a local copy of the mail in
> one or the other formats.  So file system benefits may be undone, either
> way.

Generally the client and server are on different machines.

> e.g. Using Evolution and Dovecot with mbox (it started that way, and now
> I'm considering changing to maildir because it's getting slow), I end up
> with a ~/mail/ directory full of mbox files per folder, *and* a
> ~/.evolution/ directory with mostly the same thing in a different
> format.

If you are running on the same machine you might as well either
let evolution see the mbox/maildir storage itself or download
via pop so evolution has the only copy.  You only need client/server
operation if you are on another machine or use different clients
from different locations.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx