Re: Yum update problems: fixed Livna, now what?

On 11/7/05, Paul Howarth <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > Isn't there a way to see what depends on something before I -e it? I
> > just did a man rpm but didn't see an option for checking. How is that
> > done?
>
> A simple way of doing this is just to run the "rpm -e" as a non-root
> user. If there are dependency issues, rpm will tell you. If not, the
> remove will fail because you're not root.
>
> Paul.

Nice trick. I take it that this means that I cannot -e it?

[dotancohen@localhost ~]$ rpm -e dbus-qt
error: Failed dependencies:
        libdbus-qt-1.so.1 is needed by (installed) k3b-0.12.5-1.0.fc4.kde.i386
        dbus-qt = 0.33-3.1.fc4.kde is needed by (installed)
dbus-devel-0.33-3.1.fc4.kde.i386
[dotancohen@localhost ~]$ rpm -e dbus-devel
error: can't create transaction lock on /var/lib/rpm/__db.000
[dotancohen@localhost ~]$ rpm -e libdbus-qt
error: package libdbus-qt is not installed

And why would it tell me that libdbus is not installed in the third
query when in the first query it seems to be there? Note that I have
been unable to update for at least four days now, between this and
unrelated problems at livna.

Dotan Cohen
http://technology-sleuth.com/technical_answer/how_can_i_be_safe_online.html