Re: Yum update problems: fixed Livna, now what?

Paul Howarth wrote:
Dotan Cohen wrote:

On 11/7/05, kwhiskers <kwhiskers@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 06/11/05, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

After several days of yum problems (no livna), I switched to the
failovermethod=priority mirror method, and yum starts normally.
However, it bombs out with:
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Missing Dependency: dbus-qt = 0.33-3.1.fc4.kde is needed by
package dbus-devel

When can I get that? If I just download it as an rpm (I haven't
checked from where yet), will that screw anything up?

Thanks in advance.

Dotan Cohen

http://technology-sleuth.com/question/how_much_memory_will_i_need_for_my_digital_camera.html

What I did was to rpm -e dbus-devel and then everything worked just fine. Apparently, dbus-devel was not needed by anythng on my system, although it must have been at one time, otherwise I would never have installed it in the
first place.

Isn't there a way to see what depends on something before I -e it? I
just did a man rpm but didn't see an option for checking. How is that
done?

A simple way of doing this is just to run the "rpm -e" as a non-root user. If there are dependency issues, rpm will tell you. If not, the remove will fail because you're not root.

Paul.

What about the --test flag?  Wouldn't that work as well?