Re: Problem in booting new installation of Fedora Core 4

On 11/6/05, Tony Nelson <tonynelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
At 12:14 PM +0500 11/6/05, Enlightened Moderation wrote:
>I did a new installation of Fedora Core 4 on a system with 2 hard drives
>and which already had Windows XP installed. The configuration before
>installing Fedora Core 4 was as following:
>hda 20 GB has two ntfs partitions with windows xp installed in the first
>bootable partition. hdb 40 GB had only one 20 GB bootable fat32 partition.
>Rest of space i.e. 20 GB was set aside free for Fedora Core 4.
>
>I allowed Fedora to do automatic partition in the free
>space reserved.Also, I allowed to automatically select the place to
>install grub ( I did not opt for advance grub options).
>
>The installation proceeded normal until it congratulated me for completing
>the installation and to reboot the system. When I did a reboot, however, I
>did not get any grub boot loader prompt, and instead booted straight into
>Windows XP like before.
>
>I figured out that Fedora did not install the boot loader in the MBR of
>the first drive and instead installed in the first sector of /boot in the
>second drive. Therefore, I made my BIOS to boot from the second drive
>(hdb). However, I get a prompt telling me "Missing operating system".

The BIOS change may have renumbered the drives so grub was confused.

>Please let me know how can I correct this to have a dual boot system with
>windows XP and Fedora Core 4.

You can set up your boot.ini file to chain to grub if you want.  You need
to copy the grub bootsector from the linux partition (or wherever it was
put) into a file on your boot drive and add a line to boot.ini.

I used the rescue CD to copy the bootsector, mounting a floppy and then
using dd to copy the bootsector to a file on the floppy.  I just stumbled
through the process, probably using man a lot.  I then rebooted into
MSWindows and copied that file onto my C: drive as C:\linux.bin, and added
a line to boot.ini, something like:

C:\linux.bin="FC3"

In my case, I also had some trouble booting MSWindows, as I had Extended
Partitions that got renumbered when I added Basic Partitions.  I don't
think you will have that problem.

I have tried to follow the above advice but in vain. I don't know what I am
missing. This is what I did:

Booted from first cd with linux rescue

mounted my fat32 partition as /mnt/hdd

dd if=/dev/hdb2 of=/mnt/hdd/linux.bin bs=512 count=1

Then booted into windows xp

copied the linux.bin file to c drive as c:\linux.bin

edited boot.ini to have a new line at the end

c:\linux.bin="Fedora Core 4"

Rebooted the system and selected to boot from Fedora Core 4.

But still I cannot boot. The display screen just goes blank with cursor
 blinking at the top left corner.

Please note that fdisk -l showd that hdb2 was 102 Kbytes and was
set for boot. Therefore I copied the first sector from hdb2 to linux.bin.
When it did not work, I tried the same thing copying first sector from hdb1,
but again without any gain.

A..