Re: Emailing system logs

Am So, den 06.11.2005 schrieb Philip Crowder um 18:09:

> just started administering a fedora core box, and I am wondering how
> to receive an email every day to tell me about the system state,
> cheers

> Tigger

Your Fedora system is doing that automatically. root user recipient gets
a daily logwatch output mail with some summary from log file inspection
of the past day. To read that mail I recommend to redirect root's mail
to a mortal user (pcrowder or how your system user is called). To do so
open /etc/aliases as root with an editor of choice and activate the
commented alias at bottom of that file by an entry like

root:         pcrowder

After that change you need to activate it by running command
"newaliases". Future mails from the system addressed for root will reach
your user account, so you can read that system mail with a mail client.

Alexander

Serendipity 18:29:55 up 8 days, 16:30, load average: 0.15, 0.07, 0.06