Re: wget not resolving domain names

Tim:

>> I think that the usefulness of Paul's example is that you can change
>> the machine acting as "myserver" with one record change (the A record
>> for "myserver".  Alternatively, if you made all the next three
>> records "A" records with the same IP address, you'd need to change
>> all of them.

Derek Martin:

> Oh, come now...
>
> If this is genuinely a problem for you, then you need to spend some
> time learning how to use your favorite editor, or find a better one...

Re-instating my next paragraph:

"Probably not a real pain for three servers, but if you'd faced an
annoyance of suddenly having to replace 10, or more, server addresses in
one go, you'd probably appreciate being able to fix things with just one
modification to one record."

It's clear that you're just flapping your gums in the breeze for the
sake of having an argument.

No, it's not something I want to do, but from the theoretical point of
view, there's a good reason for the technique Paul offered of CNAMEing
lots of different servers to the one server address:  The simplicity of
changing the lot, in one go, with just one edit, to a different address,
should you need to.

There is really no argument to say that it's not easier to just edit the
one A record to change where all the CNAMEs point to, compared to
writing a script just to do the same thing.

I read messages from the public lists.