From: Alex @ Avantel Systems [mailto:ahv@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, 5 November 2005 2:39 PM
To: For users of Fedora Core releases
Subject: Me too! Re: Yum update dependency errors

On Friday 04 November 2005 18:46, Jeff Vian wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-11-04 at 13:47 -0700, Don Springall wrote:
> > When I try to do a "yum update kernel" this is what i get:
> >
> > Error: Missing Dependency: libnetsnmp.so.5 is needed by package hpoj
> > Error: Missing Dependency: libnetsnmp.so.5 is needed by package
> > kdeutils
> > Error: Missing Dependency: XFree86-devel >= 4.2.99 is needed by
> > package pango-devel
> > Error: Missing Dependency: XFree86-devel is needed by package
> > SDL-devel
> > Error: Missing Dependency: XFree86-devel is needed by package gtk
> > +-devel
> > Error: Missing Dependency: XFree86-devel is needed by package
> > gtk2-devel
> >
> > Is there any way to force yum to do the update anyway like you do with
> > "rpm -Uvh --force"  ?
>
> NEVER do a forced update on the kernel!!!!!
>
> If you simply do a 'yum update' and watch the results you will see that
> the kernel is not updated.  Instead the new kernel is installed and they
> exist together.
>
> The update you attempted likely failed because you did an update on the
> kernel (which would replace the running kernel) and did not update
> everything.
>
> Try a 'yum update' and it should do the required updates with package
> dependencies satisfied (and will install the updated kernel as well).

these dependency errors happen fairly often on my system.  Most recent
update
(yum update) on my  FC3 x86_64 installation yielded;

Running Transaction Test
Finished Transaction Test
Transaction Check Error:   file /usr/bin/tab2space from install of
kdewebdev-3.4.2-0.fc3.1 conflicts with file from package
tidy-0.99.0-2.20040916
  file /usr/bin/tidy from install of kdewebdev-3.4.2-0.fc3.1 conflicts with
file from package tidy-0.99.0-2.20040916

Don't really know what to do with that.  Any assistance appreciated.

A.
===