Re: Yum update dependency errors

On Fri, 2005-11-04 at 13:47 -0700, Don Springall wrote:
> When I try to do a "yum update kernel" this is what i get:
>
> Error: Missing Dependency: libnetsnmp.so.5 is needed by package hpoj
> Error: Missing Dependency: libnetsnmp.so.5 is needed by package
> kdeutils
> Error: Missing Dependency: XFree86-devel >= 4.2.99 is needed by
> package pango-devel
> Error: Missing Dependency: XFree86-devel is needed by package
> SDL-devel
> Error: Missing Dependency: XFree86-devel is needed by package gtk
> +-devel
> Error: Missing Dependency: XFree86-devel is needed by package
> gtk2-devel
>
> Is there any way to force yum to do the update anyway like you do with
> "rpm -Uvh --force"  ?

NEVER do a forced update on the kernel!!!!!

If you simply do a 'yum update' and watch the results you will see that
the kernel is not updated.  Instead the new kernel is installed and they
exist together.

The update you attempted likely failed because you did an update on the
kernel (which would replace the running kernel) and did not update
everything.

Try a 'yum update' and it should do the required updates with package
dependencies satisfied (and will install the updated kernel as well).

Man yum to find out how to fine tune its performance.