Re: Installing all packages

On Fri, 2005-11-04 at 18:53 -0400, Guillermo Garron wrote:
> Michael A. Peters wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 2005-11-04 at 18:34 -0400, Guillermo Garron wrote:
> >

> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>I should have installed all packages when i installed my FC4 the first
> >>time.. unfortunatly i did not.
> >>

> >Out of curiosity - why?
> >I've found that full installs are a PITA - even with broadband, the
> >number of updates and time it takes to install them all is huge - and a
> >waste of time/bandwidth for apps you do not use.
> >

> It is only because i am tired of "guess" wich library i need to install
> each time i need to upgrade or install new software :)

There is no "guess" involved.
If you use yum, it will explicitly locate and install any dependencies
or will politely fail and tell you exactly which packages it cannot
find.
If you use the rpm at command line it tells you in detail which files
are needed and a little judicious use of rpm -ql will identify the
package for you.

Knowing how to use the tools takes all guessing our of the process.

OTOH, if you are compiling from source, then it is up to you to identify
the needed packages and thus, yes, some guesswork may be involved.