Re: Resovling FC3 Boot Messages

I'm sorry to repost this, but it got scrubbed because it was in HTML format the first time.

On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 02:32:50PM -0500, Matt Roth wrote:
I am receiving some boot messages on my Fedora Core 3 machine that concern me and I would like your help in identifying whether they are actual problems or if they can be safely ignored. I captured the messages by using 'Shift+Page Up' to page through the scroll buffer prior to logging in and typing what I saw into an editor on another machine. I looked for a way to capture these boot messages to file, but I couldn't find one. Does anyone know of a way to do this?
get a hold of: system-logviewer-0.9.11-1
which was left out of FC4 but is in FC3. Also look in:
/var/log/boot.log
demsg will also list boot messages after you boot but has a limited
buffer.
I am aware of the boot.log and dmesg. It looks like most, if not all, of the information from the boot sequence is available through them. I was just wondering if there is an easier way to obtain the actual console output of the boot sequence than digging through multiple sources and piecing it together.

Does system-logviewer perform this function?

I have seen those cache messages before but don't know what they mean
and have ignored them May be a mistake. I guess these are SATA
drives. If they are your SATA configuration in the BIOS may be in
error.
They are two SCSI drives configured in a RAID 1 (mirrored). The controller is a PERC 4e/Si RAID controller.
Does your NFS server respond immediately after you finish booting.If
not there may be a response timeout occurring. You do have nfs and
nfslock running on you server?
Yes and yes. I can manually mount the NFS server immediately after logging in and both nfsd and lockd are running on the NFS server.

smartd failures ususally come from misconfiguration of the conf file.
I will look into either disabling smartd or configuring it correctly.

Thank you for your response,

Matthew Roth
InterMedia Marketing Solutions
Software Engineer and Systems Developer

Booting 'Fedora Core (2.6.12-1.1376_FC3smp)'
kernel direct mapping tables upto ffff810100000000 @8000-c000
root (hd0,1)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.12-1.1376_FC3smp ro root=LABEL=/ quiet
 [Linux-bzImage, setup=0x1e00, size=0x1a57fa]
initrd /initrd-2.6.12-1.1376_FC3smp.img
 [Linux-initrd @ 0x37f07000, 0xe81c0 bytes]

.
Decompressing Linux...done.
Booting the kernel.
Red Hat nash version 4.1.18.1 starting
sda: asking for cache data failed
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
sda: asking for cache data failed
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
INIT: version 2.85 booting
Setting default font (latarcyrheb-sun16):                  [  OK  ]

              Welcome to Fedora Core
              Press 'I' to enter interactive startup.
Starting udev:                                             [  OK  ]
Initializing hardware...  storage network audio done       [  OK  ]
Configuring kernel parameters:                             [  OK  ]
Setting clock  (utc): Thu Nov  3 10:47:11 EST 2005         [  OK  ]
Setting hostname immlx16.imm1:                             [  OK  ]
Checking root filesystem
/: clean, 28314/656000 files, 120710/1311297 blocks
                                                         [  OK  ]
Remounting root filesystem in read-write mode:             [  OK  ]
Setting up Logical Volume Management:                      [  OK  ]
Checking filesystems
/boot: clean, 40/32256 files, 20415/128520 blocks
/home: clean, 27/656000 files, 31389/1311297 blocks
/usr: clean, 179268/1310720 files, 1154593/2620595 blocks
/var: clean, 3815/6045696 files, 745141/12080872 blocks
                                                         [  OK  ]
Mounting local filesystems:                                [  OK  ]
Enabling local filesystem quotas:                          [  OK  ]
Enabling swap space:                                       [  OK  ]
INIT: Entering runlevel: 3
Entering non-interactive startup
Starting sysstat:                                          [  OK  ]
Starting etherfabric                                       [  OK  ]
Checking for new hardware                                  [  OK  ]
Starting pcmcia:                                           [  OK  ]
Setting network parameters:                                [  OK  ]
Bringing up loopback interface:                            [  OK  ]
Bringing up eth2:                                          [  OK  ]
Bringing up eth3:                                          [  OK  ]
Starting system logger:                                    [  OK  ]
Starting kernel logger:                                    [  OK  ]
Starting irqbalance:                                       [  OK  ]
Starting portmap:                                          [  OK  ]
Starting NFS statd:                                        [  OK  ]
Starting RPC idmapd:                                       [  OK  ]
Mounting NFS filesystems: mount to NFS server 'XXX.XXX.XX.XX' failed: server is
down.
                                                         [FAILED]
Mounting other filesystems:                                [  OK  ]
Starting lm_sensors:                                       [  OK  ]
Starting automount: No Mountpoints Defined                 [  OK  ]
Starting nifd...
Starting mDNSResponder...                                  [  OK  ]
Starting smartd:                                           [FAILED]
Starting acpi daemon:                                      [  OK  ]
Starting cups:                                             [  OK  ]
Starting sshd:                                             [  OK  ]
ip_tables: (C) 2000-2002 Netfilter core team
Starting xinetd:                                           [  OK  ]
Starting NFS services:                                     [  OK  ]
Starting NFS quotas:                                       [  OK  ]
Starting NFS daemon:                                       [  OK  ]
Starting NFS mountd:                                       [  OK  ]
Starting vsftpd for vsftpd:                                [  OK  ]
Starting sendmail:                                         [  OK  ]
Starting sm-client:                                        [  OK  ]
Starting console mouse services:                           [  OK  ]
/etc/rc3.d/S90crond: line 13: /usr/local/bin/rename.ps.info.log: No such file or
directory
Starting crond:                                            [  OK  ]
Starting xfs:                                              [  OK  ]
Starting anacron:                                          [  OK  ]
Starting atd:                                              [  OK  ]
Starting system message bus:                               [  OK  ]
Starting cups-config-daemon:                               [  OK  ]
Starting haldaemon:                                        [  OK  ]

The messages that concern me are:

==========
sda: asking for cache data failed
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
sda: asking for cache data failed
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
----------
I have no idea what these mean, but they don't seem to cause any problems with the operation of the machine. Can they be safely ignored or should I try to resolve them (and if so, how)?
==========
Mounting NFS filesystems: mount to NFS server 'XXX.XXX.XX.XX' failed: server is
down.
                                                         [FAILED]
----------
This is a strange one. The server (IP hidden for security) is up and manually mounting it succeeds immediately after logging in. The mount succeeds during boot about 5% of the time. Does anyone know what could be causing it to fail the vast majority of the time?
==========
Starting smartd:                                           [FAILED]
Are there common causes for smartd failures? Should I just turn it off or should I attempt to fix the configuration? The contents of my smartd.conf file are as follows:

 [root@immlx16 ~]# cat /etc/smartd.conf
/dev/sda -H -m root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ========== /etc/rc3.d/S90crond: line 13: /usr/local/bin/rename.ps.info.log: No such file or
directory
Starting crond:                                            [  OK  ]
A script was missing and this problem has been resolved.

If you need any more information to help me with a particular problem, please don't hesitate to ask. I will be happy to provide it.