Re: Yum update dependency errors

On Fri, 2005-11-04 at 13:47 -0700, Don Springall wrote:
> When I try to do a "yum update kernel" this is what i get:
>
> Error: Missing Dependency: libnetsnmp.so.5 is needed by package hpoj
> Error: Missing Dependency: libnetsnmp.so.5 is needed by package
> kdeutils
> Error: Missing Dependency: XFree86-devel >= 4.2.99 is needed by
> package pango-devel
> Error: Missing Dependency: XFree86-devel is needed by package
> SDL-devel
> Error: Missing Dependency: XFree86-devel is needed by package gtk
> +-devel
> Error: Missing Dependency: XFree86-devel is needed by package
> gtk2-devel
>
> Is there any way to force yum to do the update anyway like you do with
> "rpm -Uvh --force"  ?
>
> And does anyone know why fedora is building packages needing XFree86
> when they switched to Xorg for X Windows ?
>
> Don Springall
>
> OpenWare Inc.
>
> mailto:don_springall@xxxxxxxxxxx

This looks eerily like a current Rawhide issue, NOT an issue with Fedora
Core....  You may want to take it up with the fedora-devel list, but I
recall a "broken dependency announcement" a few days ago over there as
they prepare for the new "modular" xorg....  This list is about the
"released" versions....

Now, as to your question about XFree86-devel, that was also recently
talked about over on fedora-devel, but as I understand it, it is left
there to allow packages to migrate that haven't gotten there "packaging"
requirements updated yet (of course, this is now dating back to FC1
packaging).  It has been kept around for too long apparently, and is
finally being removed, but again, in Rawhide, not over here, at least
that I have seen yet....

If you did not intend to turn on Rawhide, you may want to review your
yum configuration because Rawhide is known to cause bigger breakage some
days....

--Rob