Re: Samba performance advice

Stewart Williams wrote:

Hi,

I am looking for a bit of advice on performance issues serving files with my FC4 samba server.

The specs of my server are: 2.8ghz cpu, 1gb mem, IDE udma 100 (raid mirror), 100Mbit NIC & Network.

I am serving 4 users and and a few gigabytes of data, which includes:

A 300mb QuickBooks file (in constant use)
2 users' Outlook .pst file @ about 1gb each (in constant use)
2 users' Outlook Express files at about 1gb each (in constant use)
Various files including some photoshop files @ around 40-50mb each

When all 4 users are working, the file access performance reduces dramatically, and is very slow.

What I am asking for is a bit of advice as to whether I am try to serve to much data from the one PC.

Also is there anyway to monitor or find statistics of the amount of data being served or the performance of the network card?

I'm sorry if this is a bit off topic for the list, but I am new to the server side of things.

Many thanks.

___________________________________________________________ How much free photo storage do you get? Store your holiday snaps for FREE with Yahoo! Photos http://uk.photos.yahoo.com

I have also been getting some weird problems/corruption with accessing the Outlook Express *.dbx files from the Samba server.

Would imap be a more suitable solution, and would a machine of this spec handle the 4 users ok?

___________________________________________________________ To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Yahoo! Security Centre. http://uk.security.yahoo.com