Re: A test malloc program makes 64-Bit FC-4 dying

On Thursday 03 November 2005 16:21, Tony Nelson wrote:
> At 2:55 PM -0500 11/3/05, Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:
> >Hello,
> >I have a small program that I use to check malloc. The program supposed to
> >exhaust memory (heap) from malloc, then quit. <snip>

> >My question is, why does this happen in FC-4 64-bit ? what is the
> > difference on this machine and other machine ? This supposedly should not
> > happend since I run this program as regular user, and it seems
> > "dangerous" that a regular user can almost bring this machine down by
> > running this.

> I can get the same effect with:
>
>     $ grep -r "gzornl" /
>
> I think if you're patient your program will eventually run out of memory.

That's probably too, but my question is: why does this program quickly
terminate on other platform (RHEL 4/3, FC-4 32-bit) without grinding those
machines to an almost halt, but not on FC-4 64-bit ? All machines have 1GB
RAM.

Secondly, why cant I limit the memory usage using ulimit (it seems to have no
effect) ?

Thanks.
RDB