Re: Why Fedora ?

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Perkins <perk@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 08:38:47PM -0500
To For users of Fedora Core releases
Subject: Re: Why Fedora ?

> Vikram Goyal wrote:
>

> <huge snip, for brevity; sorry>
>
> Your points (that I snipped out) are all valid, I'm coming in from a
> different point of view.

Thanks for accepting the views which I think disturbed quite a few
people here.

> I've been programming in various environments
> for longer than I care to reveal ;) and I've found that while Fedora
> Core isn't something I'd recommend for a desktop-type system to anybody
> but another hacker like myself, I also see the strengths that it has for
> production use- i.e. dns server, mail server (with anti-spam and
> anti-virus), a router, or a firewall. You can also set it up for a
> "typical" home user (email, web browsing, CD/DVD
> playing/burning/producing, etc) and manage it remotely. It all depends
> on what you want to use it for.

As far as fedora's strong points is concerned, there's no doubt about
it.

I am also running a mail-server, a small web site with all the nitty
gritty of various other apps which I think a normal user won't be
touching. I am not a typical desktop user myself. Have been tinkering
with UNIX for a long time now.

I think I am quite a patient and observant person myself but was forced
to speak after experiencing 4 releases:) I believe users like myself
deserve at least this much an opportunity to elicit what they feel.

The point I wanted to make with my rant was that I have observed over a
period of time, say about three years that there "had been" very good
progress over intuitiveness and usefulness of apps previously but in
each new release that setup was disrupted with strange ways of doing the
same things, some of which I elaborated previously. Now the problem
which arises out of these disruptions is that the system which has
reached a level of stability at desktop level is rendered useless and a
new cycle begins to bring it back to stability and usefulness from a
user's point of view. This I think is a wastage of resources for both
programmers and users. Users try to grasp the new system of doing things
and programmers try to debug or change the options. Now this sucks both
of energy to bring something new and stabilize the system. What I mean
with all this rant is that once an apps has reached maturity, its
options or rather way of doing the acts should be frozen, or if that
apps is being replaced with something new & improved then at least the
working at user level should remain same.  A user is not concerned with
how a thing is being done behind the covers or what wizardry a programmer
applied in the new apps code.

> >Of course one can use other desktops does not means one wants to,
> >especially when one has got used to it. You will know what I mean over
> >an extended period of time, when you go in cycle of unlearn and relearn
> >to do the same mundane desktop chores which you had mastered or got used
> >to in previous releases. And I tell you , it sucks one of interest,
> >energy and fills one with frustration.
> >My Rs0.002...
>
> Yeah, I used to get ticked off at MS-DOS, and then Windows, whenever a
> new release would come out- they'd change and rearrange everything.

Windows has been a no-op for me for a long long time. 10 years from now.

> Probably why I stuck with Windowmaker for so long; its' UI remained
> mostly unchanged for quite some time. I could tinker with it, dress it
> up to look nice, add some desktop widgets to it, and I was a happy
> camper; I could get on with my work. The Fedora software, as you've
> pointed out, tends to get changed around. Part of the price you pay on
> this distro- it keeps changing, and you can spend time maintaining it
> (like Windows, but without the sense of futility). I like to explore new
> ways of doing things; this is why I choose to use Fedora.

I agree, exploring is a part of human nature. But getting in the
wilderness too often gets on one's nerves, even the most experienced
experts;)

Regards!
--
vikram...
--
You know it's Monday when you wake up and it's Tuesday.
		-- Garfield