Re: Uncontrolled user app installs

On Mon, 2005-10-31 at 19:07 +0000, Andy Green wrote:
> Markus Huber wrote:
>
> > There is nothing wrong with that and a big advantage at a school.
> > Windows boxes usually rot away within minutes, because everybody can
> > install anything wherever they want, they do not need to be
> > root/administrator to do that. And that's wrong.
>
> Caution: there is nothing special about the root-only-writable /usr/*
> for compiling, installing and running stuff.  I was surprised to see
> Opera running on the Fedora laptop my stepson uses a few months ago...
> he just downloaded the binaries, unpacked them in /home and ran them.
> Similarly he has compiled .tar.gz's in /home himself and run the
> executable in-place.
>
> You can mount /home noexec I guess, but assuming that a typical Linux
> box is much better in the "root must install" respect is wrong.

true pretty much any user can install pretty much anything they want and
run it locally from their home directory, but so what. It doesn't affect
the system as a whole. That program he/she installs will only run as
their user and since they have no rights they can not affect the system.
So even if they trash their user account they don;t affect other users
and you can always just recreate their account and give them a good
scolding :)