Re: server Crashing

Gary Stainburn wrote:

> Every time I run memtest86+ I get errors on test 5.  The location and
> number of the errors change as I change configs, but I never get a
> clean test.  I also never get errors on any othe other tests, just test
> 5.
>
> What's the chance that the problem's something other than memory.

If it was CPU temperature, you can expect problems turning up all over
the place and crashes in memtest86.  Therefore it sounds like it is the
motherboard chipset, the memory, or a BIOS setting controlling the
behaviour of the chipset or the memory.  Examine your BIOS carefully for
settings relating to memory voltage, drive strength on IOs to the
memory, and memory cycle timing, and runs some trials on memtest86 with
different settings.  Usually higher voltage and slower timings will get
better results (but with higher voltage comes more heat... be cautious
if you have this setting).

-Andy