Re: Linux killer!

On Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 11:42:15AM -0500, Timothy A. Holmes wrote:
> I think the point is that if Linux is to make a bigger dent in the
> Windows desktop, more things have to "just work".  In a similar
> experiment to the one which started this thread, I slowly converted
> a non-technical family with three computers from windows to Linux
> and recorded the issues which came up.
> (http://www.swlink.net/~styma/LinuxForTheMasses.shtml)

Nice work.

I believe a lot of the associations could be solved quite easily.  Has
Mozilla decided to look at /etc/mime.types (and/or users' own
.mime.types files)?  IIRC there was a time when it did not, but I
thought that was supposed to be fixed.  If so (or even if not), you're
right, the distribution could easily provide better defaults for that
stuff, a frustration I had for a long time...  I decided to get around
it by ignoring the whole issue, as I rarely have a real need to view
most media types.  Usually I just ignore them.  It works, but it's far
from an ideal solution. ;-)

To be honest, I dislike acrobat.  I only use it when I absolutely must
view a PDF file, and gpdf won't do it, which to date has never
happened that I can recall.  I used to have a hard time with xpdf
opening PDFs made with recent versions of adobe acrobat, but that was
quite a while ago.  Have you tried gpdf?  It should come
pre-installed, and I think the interface is much nicer than Acrobat
for Linux.

How did you install Java?  I'd agree that the symlinks should be
created for you by the installer... you shouldn't have to do that
manually.  Also some of the plugins' installers want to install in
version-specific plugins directories, when it would be MUCH easier for
the machine's maintainer (specifically avoiding using the term
"sysadmin" here) if they would install them in the version-generic
plugins directory (e.g. /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins instead of
/usr/local/mozilla-x.x.x/plugins).  Then when you upgrade your
browser, you don't need to reinstall/copy/link/etc. the plugins all
over again.  Very annoying, and so easy to fix.

This was a nice read, and I agree with a lot of your conclusions.

--
Derek D. Martin
http://www.pizzashack.org/