RE: Linux killer!

--- "STYMA, ROBERT E (ROBERT)" <stymar@xxxxxxxxxx>

(http://www.swlink.net/~styma/LinuxForTheMasses.shtml)
> The current distributions of Linux still need a
> technical person
> to get things working.  The technical person would
> still have no clue
> as to how to get these things working.  Many of them
> require a fair
> amount of research on the web.  I understand the
> reasons mp3's and
> wmv's don't play right out of the box, but to get
> "Joe Sixpack" using
> Linux requires an update process simple enough for
> "Joe Sixpack" to
> use to get this functionality working.
>
> If making Linux really simple is not working out,
> another model might
> be to have pay subscriptions to remote maintenance
> services.  The FC3
> and FC4 boxes I maintain for my friends I can access
> remotely via
> SSH and VNC.  On a Windows box, if tech support
> cannot talk you through
> the problem, the user ends up taking the box in and
> paying big bucks.
> ssh, /etc/hosts.allow, and iptables could provide a
> very effective support
> mechanism.  On my friends boxes, I am the only one
> with the root password,
> not that they would understand what root was anyway.
>
> Just my 2 cents worth.  My point is that Linux needs
> to be simple in
> addition to being better.

Agreed, but like the quote from Euclid "There is no
royal path in Mathematics", I would also compare this
to linux
"There is no royal path to Linux".  Make it Fedora,
Mandrake, Mepis, Debian, Knoppix, Kanotix, etc., There
is a learning curve and actually, the more you learn
the better and more technical you become.  I have
switched some of my friends to Linux, but actually
they do not care how things work, they just want to
hear mp3's and watch videos.  With Mplayer + mplayer
plugin, we have been very successful with the
exception of yahoo music.  However, I tell my friends
and my students to just listen to streaming video from
shoutcast.com, and bypass yahoo music and yahoo music
videos.

Best Regards,

Antonio