Re: Linux killer!

This has nothing to do with Linux per sae.

It has everything to do with the way Yahoo codes pages. Yahoo codes pages to check browser identification. If you try and use an unsupported browser you will get rejected by Yahoo.

I cannot view Yahoo Music videos on Windows/2000 Professional using Firefox 1.0.7 due to this. I cannot view Yahoo Music videos on Fedora Core 4 due to this.

It is simply a matter of me choosing a browser that Yahoo has decided NOT to support and purposefully excludes.

I guess the solution is to use a user agent switching tool and get the right browser identification strings for one of their supported browsers.

Once that is done, you can then get mplayer with all of the codecs and the mplayer plugin for Firefox. Hopefully that should work, unless Yahoo has packed more DRM unpleasantness into their stream.

Saying you're running IE 6 under Windows does not work. While it will get you past the Yahoo browser check, nothing will appear on the screen. I tried it under Windows/2000 Professional as well as Fedora Core 4.

I recommend writing Yahoo a politely worded letter indicating that they should at least support Firefox, since they support Netscape 7.1x. I don't think that it will do any good, but if enough of us write, at least Yahoo will know that they're missing some of the market.

Just my two cents.

/mde/