SmartLink Modem Family Woes (Snap Snap)

I bought a Creative ModemBlaster USB DE5671 recently, due to me getting troubles with getting a working modem for Fedora 4 (so far I've tried 5 different ones, and this is the first external I tried).  Of course, Fedora doesn't recognize it offhand, so I did some research.  It uses a chipset that's in the same Family as the SmartLink SmartUSB56 (or something or another).  The greater news is that SmartLink has a driver available!

So, first I tried to make an rpm out of the tar.gz file.  According to the terminal, rpm -ta is not a real command, although that's what the readme says to type.

So, I decided to try to do the MakeFile instructions.  However, this was unsuccessful, due to a static declaration of "sregs_init" bieng followed by a nonstatic declaration, and then there was a previous declaration elsewhere in the file "modem.c"

Having some C/C++ expierence, I tried to fix this, but it wouldn't work.

So, I tried going out and finding some of RPMs on the internet.  I did, and apparantly it required the kernel package, which I'm pretty sure I am, considering Fedora can't really work without it.

So, I'm completely lost, confused and a bit pissed off due to the fact that all I want to do is use this computer (I'm using my mom's currently) for school, yet I have to live with crappy 56k, and that no modem I've tried worked successfully with Fedora.

All I'm asking is this: Can someone pinpoint to me a good RPM to use for this modem, or can someone recommend a good modem (internal or external) that can work flawlessly or near flawlessly with Fedora?