Re: Why Fedora ?

On Fri, 2005-10-28 at 11:39, Gene Heskett wrote:

> >I disagree with this statement entirely. Fedora Core is not a
> >stable release. For that reason, IMO, it is unsuitable for
> >doing stable software development. OTOH, if one is designing
> >commercial software, and wants a test machine or two set up
> >the way one projects the world will be when the software is
> >ready for release, then one probably needs to have something
> >like Fedora core on those test machines.
>
> And I disagree violently with that premise.  Not everyone has the
> luxury of haveing a ready test mule, one that can be broken for
> extended periods of time while problems are worked out.  We do use
> these machines in our everyday life.

Time to pick up a free copy of VMware player at
http://www.vmware.com/ and figure out how to set up that
test mule.  In fact it would be nice if someone made a
downloadable fedora image - the 'browser appliance' VM is
actually ubuntu running firefox.  Of course that doesn't
really work out all the kernel and device driver options.

> If I can't have a reasonable expectation of doing an upgrade and having
> it continue to work for the things that are important to me, then those
> cd's I download and burn will never get anywhere near the drive at
> reboot time.

Fedora has never promised that a version level upgrade will work. For
machines where that and the fedora release schedule causes a problem
you might like RHEL or Centos better.  They don't promise that an
upgrade will work either, but you don't have to do it so often.

> The recent 4.0 release and its nightmares is a case in
> point. There is absolutely no excuse for such a broken install that
> takes a week for a guru to straighten out and a gig of downloads to fix
> stuff that should have been fixed in the release before the release was
> ever seeded to the servers.

They can't get fixed until someone reports the bugs.

> I see us as the explorers of new ways to do things much more than fixit
> guru's.

You can always tell the pioneers by the arrows sticking out of their
backs...  The fixit guru's can only do their job after someone reports
where the arrows came from.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx