Re: Why Fedora ?

On Fri, Oct 28, 2005 at 06:02:27PM +0530, gaurav wrote:

> Hi List ,
> ~             Sometimes I think I am wasting  my time on fedora .
> I got ubuntu on onmy laptop works flawlessly with 3 year support cycle
> , 16,000 pakages (mutiunivese repo) and of course apt , sysnaptic ,
> adept and  rock solid :-) plus cutting pakages and six month release
> schedule and with no strings attached
>
> I some times feel fedora is like lab rat for RH ...
>
> are we wasting time On fedora ?? Should we move 100% comunity based
> project like ubuntu ?
>
> pl ppl let me know your views :-)
>
> Regards,
> Gaurav
There have been at least 2 articles on ubantu in the Linux Journal in
recent months and is seems like an ok distribution. But the discussion
about ubantu vs, fedora sounds to me like the argument of Chrysler vs. Ford
(or for some of you Mercedes vs. Volvo, there is a joke in there
somewhere).
I find fedora robust, the fedora community helpful and all in all I am
used to it. I am sure ubantu people are good people also. I ma used to
my fedora and my Volvo so it is part laziness that keeps me from
switching distributions. I get mad at RedHat (aka Fedora) sometimes
for there arbitrary decisions, They will never convince me that eog or
gimp will replace the need for xv, but if I want xv I can install it.

I have a heavy investment in fedora (helping manage 50+ fedora
machines). It is not easy to switch distributions as some people are
willing to do.

So there is the loyalty factor. As I understand it ubantu is based on
Debian. I tried Debian once and I hated it. But maybe with more time I
could love it. Like ubantu you have one CD and then download
everything else. For me the downloading seemed ot be out of control.
Things got downloaded that I neither wanted not could control. But
again with time I am sure I could learn. I just don't have the time.

Bottom line you makes your choice and lives with it.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
telephone: (210)-999-7484