Re: FC4 does not work, "out of the box" for me; GUI/X11 fails

On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 11:07:57PM -0700, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:

> Well.. I discovered WHY I had a problem.  I Yum installed
> inside the Fedora Rescue environment which did a very weird
> installation that rendered it impossible to remove these
> and many other installations that used scriptlets (%preun,
> %postun etc).  That is why I had to start over from scratch
> and Yum install in a level 3 boot.  See previous posting that
> explains it.
>
> Dan
Look I sympathize with you that you had problems but most of the
problems it seems to me came form mistakes you made which I don't
understand. What gave you the idea you could do a yum update in the
rescue environment. I know others have reported errors in the update
of kernels when you install everything that is somehow system
dependent because I have installed everything on several systems and
never had any update problems.

I have installed FC4 on at least 4 machines with very different
architectures and never had the problems you report. I am afraid it is
a question of it is nigh impossible to have a distribution that will
work on every type of hardware 32 but and 64 bit. I manage about 50
fedora machines without much problem and updates work more or less
without problems.

The fact that FC4 has been out for 5 months or so and only recently
your problems have been reported indicates to me that things are more
ok then you make them out to be.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University