Re: best/favorite/easiest to use DVD player..

On or about 2005-10-27 10:46, Tim pulled out a trusty #2 pencil and scribbled:

Tim:

I think this is the worst aspect of DVDs.

When I play a music disc, I want to hear the music.  I put it in and
press play, it plays the music. DVD players should work the same way: Put it in, press play, the movie begins. I've got a menu button on my player *should* I want to do something else (like sit through several minutes of animated menus, one after another, several copyright warnings in different
languages, and three film company brag clips, etc).

STYMA, ROBERT E (ROBERT):

I agree with the complaint about having to wade through advertisements before you get to watch the movie. Fortunately the "main menu" button will usually help skip over these.

Unfortunately, I find it rarely does.  Just about everything forces you
to watch what they want.  It's the minority that lets you do what you
want.

Many DVD's also come with short documentaries about how the movie was
made which makes the menu a useful.

Yes, though that's what the menu button is for.  It lets me choose
something else on the disc, when I opt to view the menu.  That ought to
be an option, not something I'm forced to endure.

Waiter:  Would you like to see the menu?
Customer:  No, I'd like the steak.
Waiter:  You must choose it from the menu.

Also scene selection helps since many DVD players do not let
you take the disk out, put it in later, and pick up where you left off.
(The old VCR technology did have some good points.)  Just my 2 cents worth.

Yes, that's annoying.  I've several players.  Two offer a resume
features that rarely works (you end up in the wrong place, or back at
the start).  Mine can't resume its place on one disc when you've played
another one since.  And resume certainly can't work when you started
watching a movie in the lounge then decided to watch the rest in bed.
So don't just complain, DO something about it!

1: Making a backup copy of a $20 DVD onto a $0.50 DVD+R sounds like fair use and a good idea, considering how easy it is to ruin a DVD.

2: Free software like DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink will allow you to make your backup copy, and drop everything but the main movie and the Scene Selection Menu.
3:  File your original safely away and use the backup.  Works for me.

--
Fritz Whittington -- TI Alum -- http://www.tialumni.org
"There is nobody so irritating as somebody with less intelligence and more sense than we have." --Don Herold