RE: Best VPN server to use on Fedora

-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Kenneth Porter
Sent: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 12:51 AM
To: For users of Fedora Core releases
Subject: Re: Best VPN server to use on Fedora

--On Monday, October 24, 2005 9:53 PM -0400 Leonard Isham
<leonard.isham@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> OpenVPN gets my vote.  www.openvpn.net

Agreed. It runs over SSL instead of IPSec, almost completely in userspace,
which I find is easier to set up. The stock Fedora kernel includes the
required kernel tun/tap device, so you don't need a custom kernel, nor
special router support. If you can open a ssh or https connection to your
VPN server, then you can get to it with OpenVPN, assuming the port is open.
ISP's don't see it as "VPN". (Some forbid VPN connections.)

Hi Kenneth,

I have looked at OpenVPN, from what I can figure out.... with a Linux VPN
server and windows xp clients you would have to install OpenVPN on the
windows machine.

I don't want to have to install OpenVPN on each windows machine, windows xp
already has a client built in, I would like a Linux server that would work
with the built in windows client, am I wrong in assuming that OpenVPN on the
Linux box will not work with the XP client?

TIA