Re: [OT] - DVD Player

Amadeus W. M. wrote:
Here's a little 2 line script that I usually use with mencoder that works for me.

mencoder $1.avi -sub $1.srt -ovc lavc -lavcopts \

  vcodec=mpeg4:keyint=100:vbitrate=1000:vb_strategy=1:vpass=1 -oac copy

mencoder $1.avi -sub $1.srt -ovc lavc -lavcopts \

  vcodec=mpeg4:keyint=100:vbitrate=1000:vb_strategy=1:vpass=2 -oac copy

Just tried something similar using -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4 (etc.)
and the player said codec unsupported. Did you do any firmware upgrade or
something?

Would it be too much to ask to encode with mencoder a chapter, say, from a
dvd, test it on your player then post the file somewhere where I can
download, to try it on my player? Something a few Mb should suffice. I
can't let this go until I sort it out. I can't tell right now if it's the
player or mencoder.

Well... I just encoded some video using the script I supplied and I also get the "CODEC UNSUPPORTED" error. I've used this successfully in the past, my player is unchanged, so I must conclude that something is broken in mencoder.

The "msmpeg4v2" codec option produces a video that doesn't get the codec unsupported error, but it also doesn't play correctly.

I'll mess with this some more tomorrow, but it might be time to ping the mplayer support list.

Regards,

John