Re: Unstable Fedora Installation

Edward Dekkers wrote:

Bruce Feist wrote:

I've installed the AMD 64-bit version of Fedora, 2.6.13, on a new computer with 1 gig of RAM, one PCI-connected IDE drive, and three SATA disks. My most recent experience with Linux was RH 8.1 or so. Bad things are happening...

Highly likely hardware problems. A complete hardware lock (requiring a reset) is very unlikely software related.

Do a full (14+ hours-all tests selected) memtest on the thing.

My apologies for a newbieish question, but what's memtest? (Obviously some kind of memory test, but I don't see a package for it, and man -k doesn't turn anything up on it). Google turned up memtest86 -- is that what you refer to? (I'm assuming so, and am about to create a boot disk of it.)

Bruce