Re: No network connection after upgrade (via 'yum')

Jon D. Slater wrote:
Bill Perkins wrote:

Jon D. Slater wrote:

Bill Perkins wrote:

Jon D. Slater wrote:

I just went back and tried kernel-2.6.13-1.1526_FC4 and the network is broken there too...

Jon D. Slater wrote:

Hi All,

I just recently did a 'yum' update to my existing FC4 install, and re-booted. The 'yum update' updated my kernel.
kernel-2.6.12-1.1456_FC4    -->   kernel-2.6.13-1.1532_FC4

My network connection stopped.

If I look at the network support tools, it looks like everything is working.

During boot, I see the network service start (appears fine), and the a long pause when trying to connect to the nntp "Time Server" (which Fails).

If I reboot using the old (2.6.12-1.1456) kernel, everything works fine.

Typically when I've yum-updated before, everything that's needed to support the kernel "comes with it".

I'm running FC4 on an HP Pavilion 8150, with a Linksys NC100 (Network Everywhere Fast Ethernet 10/100 [rev 11]) card. And I've never had any problems, until now.

Obviously, this isn't an urgent issue, because I can boot using the old kernel, but does anyone know of something I should have done?

My first thought when this happened was that my network card had died, so I replaced it with a 3 Com 3c905, and got exactly the same problem. (That's when I tried putting the old card back in and booting using the old kernel.)

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Jon

I've had the same sort of issues with an RT2500 card; need to compile the module for each new kernel I use, and starting the ntpd service during boot usually causes a hang. Is there a special kernel module needed for your NC100 card? You might need to compile and install it for the new kernel, I don't know about that particular card. You could also try turning off the ntpd service at startup, and start it manually after bootup and login, that is what I do...

I've never needed to compile a kernel module for this card. It's always worked (right of of the box). When I look at the pull down list of supported network cards, it's in the list.

Ok, next question is, is the module loaded?
# lsmod | grep <module_name_of_card>

I don't see anything regarding "linksys" or "nc100", but I *do* see the "tulip" module. (This is from the kernel that works.)

I'm not at the location of the machine, so I can't try re-booting and checking under the new kernel.

That looks like the one, from browsing /usr/src/kernels on my system, in drivers/net/tulip/Kconfig:
config DE2104X
        tristate "Early DECchip Tulip (dc2104x) PCI support (EXPERIMENTAL)"
        depends on NET_TULIP && PCI && EXPERIMENTAL
        select CRC32
        ---help---
          This driver is developed for the SMC EtherPower series Ethernet
          cards and also works with cards based on the DECchip
          21040 (Tulip series) chips.  Some LinkSys PCI cards are
          of this type.  (If your card is NOT SMC EtherPower 10/100 PCI
          (smc9332dst), you can also try the driver for "Generic DECchip"
cards, below. However, most people with a network card of this type
          will say Y here.) Do read the Ethernet-HOWTO, available from
          <http://www.tldp.org/docs.html#howto>.

          To compile this driver as a module, choose M here and read
          <file:Documentation/networking/net-modules.txt>.  The module will
          be called de2104x.

I don't know where you should go from here, perhaps look in system-config-network and see what that gives you for options and such.

"The two most common things in the	| Bill Perkins
 universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity."	| perk@xxxxxxx
					| programmer-at-large
		F. Zappa		| ALL assembly languages done here.